Saturday, October 20, 2007

Stuff Ray Is Reading


I have just begun to read "Schulz and Peanuts", David Michaelis' new biography of Charles Monroe Schulz. I'll have a full review once I've finished. In the meantime, if you'd like to read more about the book, check out the following articles and reviews:


-John Updike reviews the book in The New Yorker

-and then there's this item from Yahoo! News.

I've also been reading Cerebus...unfortunately I've stalled while waiting for the one copy of Minds that the Columbus library owns to be returned and delivered to the Whetstone branch for me to check out. It's probably a good thing, though, as I could use a break after slogging through the purple prose and bitter ranting that make up the text portions of Reads.

I've also just read the first three trade collections of DC's year long weekly series 52. Even as someone who has read superhero comics all his life, I am stunned by the level of violence and gore in this series, especially in the scenes involving Shazam! villain Black Adam. (He literally rips a man in half--and not off-panel-- in the third issue.)

On the positive side, I'm intrigued by the return, in Vol 3, of the "Yellow Aliens" who created Animal Man and eager to see where that plotline, obviously the brainchild of co-writer (one of four) Grant Morrison, will go.

No comments: