Thursday, October 2, 2008

Gallery Hop and other events this weekend

Hello all. My name is Rich Watson and I'm the newest member of Sunday Comix, not to mention being a new resident of Columbus as of this summer. I'm originally from New York City, and I've been involved in small press in one form or another since 1993. I've been a writer, artist, self-publisher, editor, journalist and even retailer. I've recently started an autobiographical webcomic about my time here in C-bus called City Mouse Goes West, at Web Comics Nation. I also write a blog about black comics and creators called Glyphs, at Pop Culture Shock (hence my username - my blog used to be on Blogger).

In addition to posting about the goings on here at Sunday Comix Central, I'd like to also post about the cool arts-related stuff in Columbus. Its thriving cultural environment is perhaps the major reason I moved here. This place styles itself as the "Independent Art Capital of the World," and the moniker is a justifiable one. The visual and performing arts are almost as much a part of the town's identity as Buckeye football, and part of my intent here will be to highlight it as much as possible.

This weekend, obviously, is the Mid-Ohio Con (which, I regret to say, I'll be unable to attend), but it's also the weekend for Gallery Hop, the Short North tradition held on the first Saturday of every month. The galleries along this stretch of North High Street will stay open later than usual for everyone to check out their wares. It's a very festive occasion, something I look forward to every month. You can read more about it here.

In addition:
- The Wexner Center is currently running the "Andy Warhol: Other Voices, Other Rooms" exhibit. (I went to this recently with Jonathan, Ray, Mike L. and Fearless Leader Max and I found it an overwhelmingly vast experience. Worth seeing.) This Sunday marks the first of in a series of First Sundays Drag Day at the Wex - free admission! (Admission is also free Thursday evenings for the duration of the Warhol show.)

- The Columbus International Film Festival continues tonight at Studio 35 with How Ohio Pulled it Off, followed by the Vice-Presidential debate.

Plus:
- The North Market Harvest Festival is this Saturday.

No comments: