Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Chevy Chase

Today is Chevy Chase's 65th birthday.
So, what the heck does that have to do with comics, you are probably asking yourself. (If you're in public, best not to do it aloud.)
And it's not the Marvel Team-Up issue from the late 70's that teamed Spider-Man with Saturday Night Live's original Not Ready For Primetime Players. Chase had already left the show by that time.
Well, it turns out, as revealed in a Comics Journal interview with one of my favorite comics writers, Bob Haney, writer of the Batman team-ups in The Brave and The Bold and creator of the Teen Titans, Metamorpho, Eclipso and a host of other off-beat characters from the height of the Silver Age, that Chase's father, Ned, was Haney's brother-in-law. (I suppose this means Haney's sister is Chevy's mother, though that isn't explicitly stated.)
Do you remember the SNL 25th anniversary special where Bill Murray, in his lounge singer persona, goes up to Michael Douglas in the audience and says "I am a huge fan....of your father." If I ever met Chevy Chase, I don't know if I could resist the urge to say, "I am a huge fan...of your uncle Bob."
For more about Bob Haney and The Brave and The Bold, check out this five part series that I posted on my blog The Word From On High a couple of years ago.

No comments: